Download, yes, download Molekel 4.3 (WinXP). Happy New Year!
Due to extensive popular demand, I hereby make available the necessary files to run Molekel in its old 4.3 version. The program has been compiled to work under Windows 32 bit architecture. Just extract it and place the main folder (as provided here) in any location and run the .exe file located inside. You can generate a direct access to it from your desktop and it even includes a small icon to be used for this purpose.
Also, the manual in pdf format is included; in it you can find the proper citation which must be included in any publication that makes use of Molekel. Just in case you can’t find it, here it is:
MOLEKEL 4.3, P. Flükiger, H.P. Lüthi, S. Portmann, J. Weber, Swiss Center for Scientific
Computing, Manno (Switzerland), 2000-2002.
Stefan Portmann & Hans Peter Lüthi. MOLEKEL: An Interactive Molecular Graphics Tool.
CHIMIA (2000) 54 766-770.
Now some considerations:
- This is an old program. It was generated back in the WindowsXP days, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if it doesn’t work in more recent platforms or under any other 32 bit OS.
- The manual is included. Please read it. This blog is not Molekel’s help desk; I may help but I can’t solve everything, I just don’t have the time for it.
- I didn’t participate/collaborate/helped or got involved in any way in the development of this program, i.e., don’t shoot the messenger. The Molekel homepage is: http://molekel.cscs.ch/wiki/pmwiki.php
- I strongly recommend to make use of the NEW version. A bit more obscure but also great once you figure it out, plus there is available support for it from the actual developers.
- I also strongly recommend to look over the internet for other visualization softwares. I don’t recall having reviewed any in this blog. Perhaps some other time.
- Since this is not my development I will remove it from the server upon the request of the rightful owners A.S.A.P! My guess is they wont mind all that much since its an old version and it was given away for free from their server anyway.
- I can’t think of anything else to put on this list right now but I reserve the right to come back to it and add something more. I just don’t want any trouble.
So, here it is! Right click on the link and download it; Use it to generate nice plots of your orbitals, densities, electrostatic potentials, etc. Consider this a Happy New Year’s gift!
Rate and comment this and all the other posts you find interesting in this blog. Please!
UPDATE: Thanks to Yuekui Wang for the following information.
This copy doen’t work on some WinXP machine with ATI monitor card. The original copy is still available on the cscs web site. Download link is as follows:
It works fine on many macjines, I am sure.
Posted on January 11, 2012, in Computational Chemistry, Software, Visualization and tagged Computational Chemistry, download, download molekel, molekel, orbital plot, Software, Visualization, visualization software. Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.